Support us by shopping for books on volunteering, travel and more on our Amazon.com site

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Life in the volunteer house


Living in Mancora is a bit of a transition. It's a different culture and pace of life. The volunteer house is a place where everyone can chill after a day of work and decompress. My favorite place in the house is on the wrap around balcony. You can sit there for hours and people watch from the second level. There is often a soccer game on the street with the neighborhood kids and it seems like once a week there is a procession that goes by.

I always felt like the volunteers were like a family. We take turns cooking and cleaning and maybe I've just been lucky, but every time I'm there the other volunteers are amazing cooks.

The house is nice and secure and has a lot of amenities like the PaM computer and surf boards. I like that we live in the local end of town away from all the tourist spots. We're close enough to walk anywhere in town, but our location makes me feel like a part of the community.

No comments:

Post a Comment